It is important to me to participate in endeavours that are ‘part of the solution’. In a globalized neo-liberal economy, it can be easy to forget that so often the things that make the world better are not commodified. I was raised in a farming community with many Mennonites. The image of a barn raising is a powerful life metaphor I have carried throughout my life. There is nothing more powerful than working together to create something bigger than any one person. When I was a child, we were ‘volunteered’ out by my parents to various charitable causes or just for helping neighbours bring in the hay or do other seasonal work requiring many hands.
Whether employed or contracting in the not-for-profit sector, or contributing to my professional community or local community, being part of the bigger picture is important to me.
Heather’s not-for-profit activity highlights:
-February 2015 Share the Love Kemptville: awareness campaign for rural poverty and insecure housing featuring art exhibit and auction to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity Thousand Islands. Generated approximately 12 media impressions.
News Release: Grade 3 Students Share the Love,
Share the Love Art Exhibit
Share the Love Facebook page.
– volunteer Director/Chair of Fundraising, Habitat for Humanity Thousand Islands, 2014-2015
– Wrote and launched “Killer Core Workout for Runners” – the first core training book specifically for runners, as a fundraiser for Ryan’s Well, a Canadian non-profit providing sanitary water conditions to people who desperately need it. The effort was inspired by ultra-marathon runner Ray Zahab’s support of Ryan’s Well and water awareness.
– Habitat for Humanity, strategic planning facilitator, volunteer 2013-2014
– ALS Society of Ontario fundraising run/walk, Sept. 2013
– National program director, national sport organization, 2010-2013
– First Place Options, women’s health centre, strategic planning facilitator, 2013
– Need You Now Equine Rescue, volunteer horse trainer, 2013-2014
– Foster Parent 2011-2012
– Compassion Canada Child Sponsor, 2002-2013
– City of Ottawa recreational gymnastics volunteer assistant coach, 2011-2012
– Community Golf Tournament for ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease, partnered with ALS Society of Ontario), organizer, 2009
– Kemptville area Sports Night for Kids with Disabilities organizer and coach, 2009-2010
(partnered with Community Living North Grenville)
– University of Guelph, Kemptville Campus,
-inter-collegiate equestrian team coach (volunteer) 2008-2009
-volunteer expert speaker, Balance in Motion symposium, 2008
– Equestrian horse show volunteer (scribe and clerk), 2005-2010
– Ottawa Valley Arabian Horse Association, sponsorships package designer, 2005-2007
– The IT Department Executive Advisory Board, 2006-2007
– First Place Options, women’s health centre, marketing assistance 2006
– Ottawa Business Journal Editorial Board, 2004-2006
– International Student Friendship Group, student leadership team, 1993-1998
– Reconciliation Retreat Weekend, Oka/Kanesatake, 1996
– Christian Blind Mission, volunteer, 1985
– Youth Board Member, local riding club 1983-1987